[mythtv-users] nuvexport - drastic quality difference

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue May 15 00:51:55 UTC 2007

Matt wrote:
> Chris, what I haven't got into h.264 much yet.  What option is that in
> nuvexport?  Does that use ffmpeg or transcode and how long does it
> usually take to compile a show.  Also, when I tried to compile ffmpeg
> with x264, I could never get it to work on ubuntu feisty.  Maybe I
> didn't find the right packages or something.

Look at the MP4 exporter for ffmpeg.  I've been pondering reorganizing
nuvexport to be codec-centric rather than container-centric, but it'll
be awhile if I ever get to it.

> Any other comments on why you chose h.264?

It plays back on my ipod.  Not that I actually watch TV in my ipod, but
that's where the code was when I first started playing with it.  H.264
is also generally considered to be a potential successor to mpeg for
broadcast, etc. (as evidenced by its use in European HD and other DVB
signals), as well as for internet streaming (iTunes, etc.).

-Chris