[mythtv-users] System Upgrades Re:] Live TV files not cleaned up

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 14 18:19:44 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/14/2007 01:20 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Well I only have 425 days of uptime. I keep "meaning" to upgrade, but
>> then I figure why should I mess with something that's working fine and
>> doing everything it needs to.
>>
>> The problem is that, as the newer versions diverge more and more from
>> the 0.19 I'm using, my ability to help others is reduced. The only thing
>> worse than no information is wrong information.
>
> And, the other (future) problem is that as the newer versions diverge
> more and more from the 0.19 you're using, when you finally have to
> upgrade (i.e. because of hardware failure like Mark's or whatever),
> you'll have to read a /lot/ of changelogs, do a /lot/ of research on
> required configuration changes, and do a /lot/ of testing all at one time.
>
> The frequent upgrades have the benefit of allowing you to spread the
> research out over many "sessions."  And, by upgrading within a couple of
> months of the release of each new version, you'll be able to benefit
> from the knowledge exchange from all the other people doing similar
> upgrades at the same time.  By this, I'm not recommending that you
> upgrade a working box.  I'm simply saying those benefits are often
> enough for some to risk a perfectly functional MythTV configuration once
> in a while.

What I am doing is building a new machine, with a couple of PVRs in it,
and I have obtained an HDHR. I also have a couple of spare Plextors and
an HD-3000, none of which are used by the current machine, which has 4
PVRs in it.

(does this sound like I'm a "video nut"?)

At some point I'll bring the new machine online, run both of them for a
while, and gradually switch over.

As part of this move I plan to start recording on an NFS server, with GB
ethernet connections, so future upgrades will not depend on local
storage on the B/E.

Probably not the most economical way to proceed, but I think it's the
best from a technical and stress point of view. This way I shouldn't
have to do anything in a hurry, as that's what usually gets folks into
trouble.