[mythtv-users] Remote FE problem

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu May 10 21:10:29 UTC 2007

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 10 May 2007 16:14:09 Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> My remote FE problem:
>> When I watch recorded SD shows on my remote FE, the colors are all
>> wrong.
>
> What about HD recordings?

I don't (yet) have any.  My HD5500 is only hooked up to my (old) roof
antenna (and through an old 300Ohm twin-lead antenna wire at that) and
my FE/BE isn't fast enough to play HD live).  And I don't seem to be
able to receive the ONE Boston HD channel I *want* to receive
(Fox-25)....though I get plenty from Providence which is further away,
including Channel 6 which I don't even receive in SD!  I was going to
sort out this laptop first and *then* play with the HD on it (I'm not
sure if my remote FE is fast enough for HD).

>> The colors are correct in the preview window, but when I select
>> the recording to watch, when it goes to full screen mode, the blues are
>> very red, and the flesh-tones are very gray.  This makes for some funky
>> watching.  Furthermore, the screen "tears" when there is much motion on
>> it.  I think it is related to my FGLRX settings, but I'll be damned if I
>> can put my finger on it.
>
> Dear ATI: your linux support sucks. With AMD buying you, many of us really had
> hoped it would improve, but alas...

B^)  Did you see the recent /. posting:

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/05/10/1424224.shtml

(yawn)  I guess I too will believe it when I see it.  Are they doing
their driver development in Marlborough, MA?

> Haven't tried the latest ATI driver, but the prior one worked okay on my
> wife's iMac. Well, at least for HDTV, dunno if I tried SDTV... But I'd
> certainly point the finger at fglrx doing something dumb, as usual, since the
> recordings are fine on other systems. I'd check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for
> anything that looks out of whack, and try 'mythfrontend -v playback' from a
> console (possibly redirecting output to a log file) to see if anything
> interesting there too.

I will try that.

> Dunno about the rest of your issues, and I gotta run out the door...

OK, thanks!  And thanks for your installation guides!  That's how I got
running in the first place!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com