[mythtv-users] DVD Questions

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu May 10 15:56:59 UTC 2007

David Frascone wrote:
> My DVD player works mostly (need to fix .lircrc to get remote to work),
> but now I'm trying to archive some DVD's and I'm having issues.
>
> First, my frontend is diskless.  I'm not sure if that matters.  (DVD
> drive is on frontend)
>
> What I'm trying to do is read in the dvd, then, preferably, convert it
> to divx, so I don't have to go find the kids favorite DVDs all the time.
>
> When I try "archive" dvd, I get errors about transcode not being found,
> and to press a number key.
>
> Any ideas?

Personally, I read in all of my DVDs on a Windows machine and load them
(via Samba as ISOs) on to an NFS-shared drive.  That way, the frontend
clients have access to the ISO images (I usually remove all of the menus
and such).

My kids have been quite happy with the quick access to their favorite
DVDs.  And I'm equally happy as I no longer have to worry about them
destroying the discs.

-Rich