[mythtv-users] Master backend always up, slaves sleep/wake

Russ W. Knize rknize at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 22:38:13 UTC 2007

Chad wrote:
> On 4/25/07, Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:

>> things
>> >
>> >  Add
>> > Option "NvAGP" "1"
>> > to your xorg.conf, S3 works great.  ~2 secs. to ready state.  This may
>> > only work with recent drivers.
>> >

>> BTW, on another note, the docs seem to imply the typical situation with
>> sleeping and wakeup is for all the servers to go to sleep if the system
>> is
>> idle, and all to wakeup if there is recording to do.
>>
>> What if the desire is that the master backend is an always on server,
>> and
>> you want it to wake the slaves when they have recording to do, then have
>> them shut down when they are idle.   (Ideally in a situation with
>> multiple
>> slaves only waking the slave that's needed, though for now that's not a
>> big
>> issue for me as I am using only 1 slave backend and 1 master)  And of
>> course
>> waking a slave if a frontend wants to talk to it.
>>
>> Is this a workable configuration?  It seems I might be able to kludge it
>> by
>> having the shutdown script on the master do nothing while having the one
>> on
>> the slave shut the system down, though the master might keep thinking
>> it's idle.
>>
>> This is for a situation where you do expect to have a server that's up
>> all
>> the time (doing other stuff like email/dns/mysql/etc.) but don't need
>> that for
>> slaves.
>
> Wouldn't using the shutdown/wakeup and a WOL (configured with MACs)
> work with this?  Have each slave configured to turn on another
> (further down the line) and have the Master only wake the first slave.
>  Seems like I'm missing the obvious here...

Can you elaborate on this?  I have been wondering this myself for a couple
of years now.  The documentation is pretty clear that the master backend
will wake/shutdown slaves when it wakes/shuts-down, but it is vague on the
point of having slaves only come up when the scheduler decides to have one
of its encoders handle a recording and shut it down afterwards.  I get the
impression that it doesn't work that way.  Does anyone have a setup that
does this?

Russ