[mythtv-users] permisions for /directory

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Wed May 9 11:24:01 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I set up a fresh Ubuntu install a couple of weeks ago ready for Myth and
finally got the time to install myth last night. All went well apart
from myth not having write access to the directory I've given to it.

When I set up the partitions, I created a separate partition called
'stuff' which Ubuntu mounts quite happily. I'll be putting all my media
and downloads in here.
The mythtv section will be:

/stuff/media/mythtv
and in the backend setup, I set the recordings location to be
/stuff/media/mythtv/recordings

when I finished the setup, I was told that myth couldn't access that
location.

I searched the net and found
sudo chmod -R username /directory

and ran
sudo chmod -R myname /stuff

which gave me the ability to create directorys in /stuff, so I created
the 'media', 'mythtv' and 'recordings' directorys.

Myth still couldn't access them, so I tried:
sudo chmod -R mythtv /stuff
but is still didn't work. tried:
sudo chmod -R myname /stuff/media/mythtv
but still didn't progress. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
Damian