[mythtv-users] Analog and Digital Cable Confusion (HDHR, etc)

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Mon May 7 18:55:49 UTC 2007

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 31
> Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 22:29:40 -0700
> From: "Tom Greer" <trgreer at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Analog and Digital Cable Confusion (HDHR,
> 	etc)
>
> Matt Jordan wrote:
>> To date I have only really dealt with analog cable so he digital/HDTV
>> realm is very much an unknown.
>>
>> I am building a new Myth setup and was hoping to jump into high def
>> and use HDHR as the primary 'tuner'. My thought was that I could get
>> the digital channels I pay for but only the HDTV ones would be
>> encrypted and if I were unable to record in HDTV I could just record
>> in SD (but still digital). I realize that this may not be the case
>> because even the SD may be encrypted (correct?).
>>
>> Since analog will be going away I want to avoid using an analog tuner
>> in this system. Is it possible to use an HDHR as the sole input and
>> still get all channels I pay for?
>
> Matt,
>
> I have five tuners in my MythTV system.  An HDHomerun (2 tuners) and
> three DCT-6xxx boxes attached via firewire.
>
> Via Firewire, I get every analog and digital channel except premium
> channels (like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc).
>
> The HDHomerun gives me a much smaller selection of channels.  I get
> about 10 HD channels (most of those would be available OTA).  All of
> the digital tier channels are encrypted.  And many of the analog
> channels are either not transmitted via QAM or encrypted.
>
> The firewire boxes used to be very unreliable.  But recent changes to
> the backend tuner application have solved most of the problems.
>
> I bought my HDHomerun in the hopes that I could move away from
> firewire; but the minimal set of available channels from my cable
> provider (Cox) killed this option.
>
> YMMV; but I would strongly recommend firewire at this point.
>
> Tom

Consider yourself very lucky.  I have a DCT-6200 connected via firewire as
well....can't receive anything at all over it - all the firewire
connection is good for is that allows Myth to change channels on the cable
box.  It was working fine until early January, when @#$%^! Time Warner
Cable encrypted everything.  The only way I can record anything from the
cable box now is via its s-video output.  Hopefully your cable provider
won't pull the rug out from under you in similar fashion.

Bob