[mythtv-users] 50Hz PAL over VGA at 60Hz (again) - how does Windows MCE do it?

Ben Lancaster lists at benlancaster.co.uk
Sat May 5 12:36:02 UTC 2007

Hi all,

OK, so a while ago I started a discussion about how video playback
wasn't as smooth as I'd expected with 50Hz PAL over VGA @ 60Hz (a
limitation of my TV), and the answer was, as expected, because
there's interpolation with duplicate frames to compensate for the
addition 10 frames required. It's most noticeable when you get
panning shots, or lots of movement, it's by no means a showstopper,
but it's quite irritating.

So my new question is this: how does Windows MCE do it? A friend of
mine has the exact same TV (Samsung LE32... something-or-other), but
he uses Windows MCE to play UK Freeview (i.e. 50Hz PAL) over VGA at
60Hz, yet video playback on his is silky-smooth. What is MCE doing
differently? And is there any way to replicate this on Linux?

I also use my PowerBook as a mythfrontend, and have noticed that that
at 60Hz on a VGA display is also absolutely fine (although this is
questionable as the display is much smaller, so it's difficult to
gauge). That leads me to think that this is an ffmpeg/libmpeg2 issue
on Linux?

Ben