[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Thu May 3 20:06:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 09:33:27AM -0500, stuart wrote:
> > Summary of my initial impressions:
> >
> > The DMS-520 HD UPnP client shows a lot of promise.  Setup was simple,
> > and basic HD playback was great.  But, the playback controls are too
> > limiting, providing no way to bookmark/resume playback and no usable
> > FF/skip option.    Sitting through commercials is painful enough to me
> > that I will be returning the unit to the store for now.
>
> I tried to add Galaxy 3500 and Netgear mp101 (music only) info to the
> MythTV wiki pages last night.  I don't know what happened to the text.
> I think there was a merge problem.  It's just as well as I am starting
> to realize how you are putting together the pages (i.e. new wiki page
> for each client).

While having these as media players would be cool, you would lose out
on much of a myth box -- navigation, commercial skip, various OSD controls,
audio speedup etc.

So it seems it would be very smart for these vendors to sponsor porting
of Mythfrontend to their boxes.   They would sell a lot of boxes.  I would
buy one -- simply because I expect they're low power and would save me
a lot of money.