[mythtv-users] Mythtranscode

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com
Tue May 1 22:46:45 UTC 2007

gwgrover at windstream.net wrote:
> I've read that the --dvd option of mythtranscode is new in rel 20 of
> mythtv. What I read also said that what it does is "add dvd nav
> packets" to the data stream.
>
> My Question: What can I do / how do I process the file produced by
> mythtranscode with the --dvd option?
>
> Is this a file that can be converted directly into an iso and then
> burned to dvd - producing a dvd without menus ??  --- I have tried to
> play the output of mythtranscode with the -dvd option; mplayer and
> kaffeine will both play it - but what they play looks like an
> exploding super-nova rather than a video. Same thing happens trying
> to play a dvd-r burned from the same file; a dvd player will not even
> load a dvd-rw burned from the same file.

The option is actually -e dvd (or -ostream dvd). AFAIK it only works for
lossless mpeg2->mpeg2 transcodes but maybe that's old limitation.

The resulting file can be fed directly to dvdauthor (assuming it has the
right resolution). If you want just a simple DVD without menus, with a
single file, it's something like this:

dvdauthor -o TMPDIR -t -f foo.mpg
dvdauthor -o TMPDIR -T

You can then burn contents of TMPDIR as DVD-Video.

Bolek