[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Tue May 1 18:46:28 UTC 2007

Hi Daniel...

Daniel Agar wrote:
>> Hi...
>>
>> There are a number of threads on this subject.  Instead of hijacking one
>> I thought I would start my own.  Some (maybe, a lot of ??) people are
>> anticipating the Apple TV to be understood to the point where mythTV
>> client applications may be installed.  This puts the price for such a
>> device at at least $300 if I'm not mistaken.  However, from time to
>> time, you can purchase Galaxy 3500 IPTV (caution, these boxes are very
>> closely named and there has been confusion which is which) for less than
>> $200. These boxes, I believe, may be easier to understand.  The reason
>> is because they are based on Sigma Designs chips with ARM core
>> processors that run uCLinux. Add to that there are a lot of Media
>> clients and network DVD players out there that are very similar (Sigma
>> Design chip sets running uCLinux).  Anyone working on this?  Any thoughts?
>>
>> ...thanks
>>

> Hardware is so cheap these days, I've been thinking of putting something
> like this together. These prices are Canadian and the total is just over
> $300, but doesn't include a hard drive (I'd netboot it).
>
> Motherboard
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011194&cid=MB.526
> $82.99
> 512 DDR2
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=008430&cid=RAM.475
> $29.99
> X2 3600
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=013046&cid=CPU.907
> $87.99
> Case
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=010750&cid=CS.897
> $74.95
> DVD-RW
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=010027&cid=CR.41
> $24.99

Well, that's an alternative.  But keep in mind the box we are talking
about (Galaxy 3500 IPTV (and others like the MediaMVP)) are disk-less,
require no fans and run on something much less than 10 watts (the wall
plug for the Galaxy is rated for 12 volts at about 1 amp).  So, for me,
it's obvious why such a box would be preferred over a full blown
computer - even if the computer is just a little over $300.

Even if you include media client boxes that do have disks (like the
MG-35 or MG-3500) the size of the unit will be less than half that of
most PCs.

The only draw back is that these boxes (except for the MediaMVP loaded
with mvpmc.org software) do not, as far as I know, run a native MythTV
client (i.e. use the MythTV protocol).  At best, they support UPnP.
And, right now, released MythTV code only supprts UPnP recordings - no
UPnP audio (for audio, you need to get code out of SVN and compile it
your self).  That's why I was wondering if anyone was doing any work
porting MythTV client code to these boxes.