[mythtv-users] Can MythTV handle MORE than 14 days of guide data?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue May 1 00:13:07 UTC 2007

Jon Larson wrote:
> Background: I use MythTV to record university lectures via closed
> circuit TV in our building--it works great. We generate a schedule for
> MythTV using room schedule data and import it using mythfilldatabase
> --file. I've always limited the schedule import to 14 days, but
> sometimes it would be useful to schedule an event that is still a month
> away.
>
> Question: Since I generate my own guide data, is there's any reason I
> can't import a longer time period? Would I need to modify any mythTV
> files in order to do so?

There is no limit within myth so items could be placed in
the 'program' table months or years in advance. Manual Schedule
has an arbitrary limit of two months of dates to choose from
the spinbox. The 14 days is the normal limit from DataDirect
or websites grabbed by XMLTV but these are limited by how far
in advance the stations report their future schedules. I've
always believed that the 14 day convention was that is enough
for Gemstar to go to press with the following week's TV Guide.

Daily or Weekly manual items are generated rather than found
in the listings and these are only generated fop 14 days so
these don't extend way beyond the items matched from the listings.
However, I just scheduled a Single for June 29, the last day
available in the UI.

Note that if you were to add hundreds or thousands of scheduled
programs months in advance, it would slow down each scheduler
run somewhat so you may want to keep it within reason if updates
get to be too slow.

--  bjm