[mythtv-users] very low glxgears fps

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 31 09:07:16 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I am completely puzzled by all these posts and am
running out of ideas. FYI, 'cat
/proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status' on my laptop returns

Driver:          NVIDIA
AGP Rate:        4x
Fast Writes:     Disabled
SBA:             Disabled

So no fast writes, no SBA (whatever it is).

glxgears with X running at 16bot color depth returns

22247 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4449.372 FPS
22455 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4490.754 FPS
21735 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4346.865 FPS

I have installed the nvidia driver from a .run file
picked on the nVidia website. My laptop is sort of old
now, 1.6 GHz pentium M, GeForce 4200 Go.

I also have this, if of any interest :

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model:           GeForce4 4200 Go
IRQ:             11
Video BIOS:      04.28.20.31.c1
Card Type:       AGP
DMA Size:        32 bits
DMA Mask:        0xffffffff

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 Kernel Module  1.0-9631
 Thu Nov  9 17:38:10 PST 2006
GCC version:  gcc version 4.1.2 20061028 (prerelease)
(Debian 4.1.1-19)

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/registry
VideoMemoryTypeOverride: 1
EnableVia4x: 0
EnableALiAGP: 0
NvAGP: 1
ReqAGPRate: 15
EnableAGPSBA: 0
EnableAGPFW: 0
SoftEDIDs: 0
Mobile: 1
ResmanDebugLevel: 4294967295
FlatPanelMode: 0
DevicesConnected: 0
RmLogonRC: 1
VbiosFromROM: 0
ModifyDeviceFiles: 1
DeviceFileUID: 0
DeviceFileGID: 0
DeviceFileMode: 438
RemapLimit: 0
UseCPA: 4294967295
DetectPrimaryVga: 1
SaveVBios: 0
EnableBrightnessControl: 0
PanelPWMFrequency: 1018
PanelBrightnessLimits: 65280
RMEdgeIntrCheck: 1

Sorry not to be of more help. Maybe you could install
a small debian partition for a try. If you have 3G of
free space on your HD (you could also do with 1.5G),
it would be interesting to do so. It is very easy to
install debian. Pick the debian-installer for the
'testing' version, the 20MB business-card.iso and let
the installation proceed, provided that you have an
internet connection and a DHCP server at home. I
always carry with me a USB key with all that debian
installer stuff, and can install linux on some
friend's computer if their BIOS supports USB boot.
Anyway, this is what I would do out of desperation. It
would take you about 2 hours if you don't install the
whole Desktop software packages but only the standard
system + X + say openbox for a light weight windows
manager (remember, it's just a test).

J.