[mythtv-users] TV out for unlisted card?

Angus sylvania at istop.com
Fri Mar 30 04:46:44 UTC 2007

Rod Smith wrote:
> On Thursday 29 March 2007 22:55, Angus wrote:
>
>> It seems that TV out isn't quite as well supported as I thought. I've
>> read through the Wikis and mailing lists and I can't figure out where to
>> get started. If I have a very low-budget card with a TV out (say, a
>> KWorld Global Terminator, which has a SAA713? chipset, still) and I want
>> to connect the TV out to my TV, how do I go about beginning with that?
>>

> The KWorld Global Terminator is a TV *capture* card, meaning you plug in an
> antenna, cable TV cable, or the like to *record* TV using the card. AFAIK, it
> lacks the ability to send output *to* a TV. To be sure we're talking about
> the same thing, check these URLs:

    You know what, I think you're right. That's just great! I make very
certain that this card has everything I want, but it turns out all along
that that TV port is an input port, not an output port. Good thing I
didn't spend too much money for this stupid thing, but nothing would
have been a better price for nothing.

> For TV output, you need one of several things:
>
> 1) A regular computer video card and a separate converter box that takes the
>    VGA output from the video card and converts it to a TV standard suitable
>    for your TV, such as composite, S-video, DVI, etc.
>
> 2) A computer video card that includes a TV output suitable for your TV, such
>    as composite, S-video, DVI, etc.

[snip]
> Most people go for option #2 because a video card with TV outputs isn't much
> more expensive than a video card without TV outputs, whereas a converter box
> (needed for #1) is moderately expensive. They can be had fairly cheaply on
> eBay, though, so if you've got an otherwise suitable video card, #1 might be
> a reasonable way to go.

    Alright then, does anyone else use MythTV for TV out? Can anyone
recommend a card? I realize that there already are some recommendations,
but I have a few special needs. My computer is an 800MHz Celeron, w/out
any AGP. So I'd need a PCI card that can handle a CPU w/only 800MHz.