[mythtv-users] UK Freview HD isers - what specs are your frontends

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Thu Mar 29 20:29:22 UTC 2007

On 29 Mar 2007, at 14:00, David Campbell wrote:
>> A DVB-S card will allow you to record hi-def BBC and all the other
>> free-to-air channels on satellite. You _may_ be able to record Sky
>> using an appropriate 3rd-part CAM card, but even if you prefer to use
>> the Sky box a 4-way LNB will allow you to use the disk for that & for
>> MythTV at the same time.
>
> This is very interesting but I am a little lost.
>
> Can you explain the differences between the DVB-T and DVB-S ...

DVB-T stands for "Digital Video Broadcast - Terrestrial", DVB-S for
"Digital Video Broadcast - Satellite".

As you connect a DVB-T card to a freeview aerial to receive digital
freeview TV, you connect a DVB-S card to a satellite dish to receive
digital channels on the Sky satellite. Some of the channels on Sky
are encrypted, mostly the "for pay" ones, but the selection of free
channels is compatible with those available via freeview.

As I understand it the Sky dish is mounted on the wall & mounted on
an arm in front of it is an "LNB". A co-axial cable connects the LNB
to the DBV-S card; dual- and quad-LNBs are available which allow
multiple co-axial cables to be connected to multiple TV cards. Can
anyone confirm whether this is correct?

> ... and how
> DVB-S would allow a system incapable of decoding H264 to be able to
> do it?

Ah, sorry - it wouldn't. I didn't see that mentioned in the post I
replied to.

> I already have a Sky dish - just no Sky HD box.

I believe the you could fairly easily & cheaply receive some
satellite channels, then.

Stroller.