[mythtv-users] UK Freview HD isers - what specs are your frontends

Tim Small tim at buttersideup.com
Thu Mar 29 14:41:45 UTC 2007

David Campbell wrote:
> This is very interesting but I am a little lost.
> Can you explain the differences between the DVB-T and DVB-S and how
> DVB-S would allow a system incapable of decoding H264 to be able to do it?
> I already have a Sky dish - just no Sky HD box.
There's not much difference, apart from the fact that one is from
terrestrial, and one is for satellite broadcasting.  No difference in
CPU power required (My Core 2 Duo Mobile can just about do it with the
"skiploopfilter" option using the free software - which only uses a
single core for the video decoding), but if you already have a Sky dish,
then it may be easier to receive the stream from satellite, rather than

I believe the HD freeview broadcast is at quite low power from a single
South London transmitter, and the license was only initially granted for
a year (that may have been extended tho).

e.g. see this link if you haven't already -