[mythtv-users] low-cost low-grief remote

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Mar 27 15:40:18 UTC 2007

Angus wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> On Mar 26, 2007, at 9:37 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
>>

>>> I use the Hauppauge MCE remote and it works great!  The remote is
>>> really solid and has good range.  I got it i the PVR 150 MCE Kit.
>>>

>> Does that one come with a receiver? I thought it didn't but it sounds
>> like I'm wrong.
>>
>> But if the remote says Microsoft on it I wouldn't let it in my house :-)
>>

>     I think there might be a bit of a misunderstanding here. I already
> have a PVR card, if you can call it that. It's the KWorld Global
> Terminator, and the remote that comes with it is completely useless.
> Even the CD-based manual doesn't go as far as to acknowledge its
> existence. So that's why I'm looking for another remote system.

To echo the sentiment of a few of the other responders, the serial one
works out very well.

I've got three front end systems (hence, no internal PVR card) using
them, and I was able to program lirc to recognize every remote I threw
at it (although the RCA remote that came with my DirecTV systems was too
hyper and tended to send the same keystroke multiple times).

The IR receiver on the capture cards usually only works with the remote
that was shipped with the card.  If you don't mind sticking to the
remote that came with it (I personally didn't like the one that came
with my hauppauge), then you should be ok.  However, you've already
stated that your remote isn't working well.. and a lot of folks like to
control everything from one remote.  A simple universal remote plus the
serial receiver usually does the trick.

So, you can do what a lot of people have done which is fork over the $20
for the serial IR receiver (FWIW, I would recommend the one with the 6"
cord so you can place it anywhere), program lirc with irrecord, and use
any remote you want. :)

-Rich