[mythtv-users] low-cost low-grief remote

Jon jon at sd-6.org
Tue Mar 27 03:49:52 UTC 2007

Angus wrote:
> Jon wrote:
>> Angus wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to understand what array of remote options there are
>>> out there for MythTV, but I haven't been able to piece together the
>>> information I need. I've been reading about remotes that can be gotten
>>> on the cheap, but the documentation seems to be completely unaware that
>>> they all need an IR receiver. My tv card has a remote, with an IR
>>> receiver, but it seems to be a waste of space, since I haven't been able
>>> to get it to do anything but get irrecord to fail. Speaking of which,
>>> I'd like a low-grief solution, meaning something highly compatible with
>>> MythTV, and simple to configure.
>>>     So can someone recommend a compatible model of remote and IR
>>> receiver for not too much? I hear that places like Radio Shack and Best
>>> Buy probably have the material I'm looking for, or in this country: The
>>> Source and Future Shop.
>>>
>> It doesn't get much simpler than a serial receiver
>> http://www.irblaster.info/receiver.html
>>

>     Wow, serial! When you said "serial" I thought USB, but that thing's
> RS-232! Alright, I think my box has one of those, but...
>
>> They have a good range and work extremely well.  You can build one at
>> Radio Shack, but it will only save you about $5.  Has worked with any
>> remote I've tried with the exception of my Dish Network remote.
>>

>     So are you saying with this I can use nearly any remote for MythTV?
> I haven't really gotten into the features of the program, so I'm not
> sure just what you can control in there with your remote, how many keys
> it uses, features, etc.

Yes, it is a simple ir reciever, it will pick up ir signals from just
about anything.  Your config file will tell lirc which signals(remotes)
to react to.

LIRC will support as many keys as you program.  You can control any
program that is built against liblirc or with irexec otherwise.  You can
use as many remotes as you want.  You can have them control completely
different things.