[mythtv-users] lirc almost solved

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 02:15:01 UTC 2007

On 26/03/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Brian Bosch wrote:
> >> I also find that the lirc_i2c module was not loaded and lircd no started
> >> before the mythfrontend was started. So I kill the mythfrontend then
> >>
> >> /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c
> >> /sbin/service lircd start
> >>
> >> mythfrontend
> >>
> >> and bingo I get the remote.
> >>
> >> I don't know why lirc do not start automatically as I have it setup in
> >> my /etc/modprobe.conf as this:
> >>
> >> lias eth0 forcedeth
> >> alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
> >> alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
> >> alias char-major-81 videodev
> >> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> >> alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
> >> alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
> >> install ivtv /sbin/modprobe saa7127; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
> >> ivtv; /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb
> >> options ivtv-fb osd_compat=1
> >> install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
> >> lirc_i2c
> >>
> >> I'm not sure if lircd is starting automatically. should I chamge
> >> something in the /etc/modprobe.conf ??
> >
> > Now that you mention it I had the same issue on my FC6 system.  I put
> > the following in /etc/rc.local to get around it.  Likely there is a
> > better way, but this got it working and then I forgot all about it:
> >
> > /sbin/depmod -a
> > /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c
> > /sbin/service lircd start
> >

> you need to put the lirc module loading lines FIRST in modprobe.conf. So
> you should have lirc_i2c, then (usually) lirc_dev and finally
> lirc_your-driver-name, as lines 1 through 3.
> Nobody seems to know why but 'That's the Way It Is'....

Not wishing to be argumentative, but that's completely false in my
experience. If you want to link the appropriate LIRC modules to the 61
major number, you need only include the lirc_<driver> entry, as the
lirc_dev module is automatically loaded. I'm also not sure what you
intend line #3 to be in your explanation, as lirc_i2c *is* the driver
name, if using a PVR card's IR support. If using a serial IR receiver,
you would use lirc_serial, probably with an options line for the
module.

If you need the lirc modules to be loaded only after the ivtv module
has been loaded, then you can use the install/ignore-install construct
as Claude posted.

> Then you should not need to do either the modprobe or the service start
> in rc.local. You do NOT need to run depmod on every boot. That need only
> be run after you have installed new modules. (Use ldconfig for new
> libraries).

You still need to start the service somewhere (i.e. via your lircd
init script instead of rc.local). The lircd service does not start
without being told to.

Props to Claude and Brian for getting things working, however :)

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/