[mythtv-users] Wireless Pre-N for Linux?

Johan Venter mythtv at vulturest.com
Mon Mar 26 21:59:55 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
>> get anything better than about 20Mbps sustained throughput.
>>

> Remember that the manufacturers can't even agree about what a MB or a
> GB is, even when they admit they are using 1000 instead of the more
> correct 1024 they still state categorically that "actual capacity
> will be less", and they specify "unformatted" capacity, as if anybody
> ever could or would use an unformatted drive.

Actually, when talking about the capacity of a wireless link (and data
rate in general, I believe) one always uses powers of 10 rather than
powers of 2.

Thus, stating a theoretical maximum throughput (when is then effected by
free space loss, fading,
thermal/intermodulation/crosstalk/impulse/whatever noise) is much
different to blatantly putting the wrong numbers on a hardrive.

The theoretical Mbps of a wireless link is calculated based on its
frequency and bandwidth such that even honest people would come up with
the same answer :)

However due to interference you can generally take the theoretical
throughput and chop it in half: not many people will get more than about
25-27Mbps out of an 802.11g link.

Regards,
Johan.