[mythtv-users] Wireless Pre-N for Linux?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 26 14:21:22 UTC 2007

On Mar 26, 2007, at 8:05 AM, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> You might have better results with the supposed 108Mbps stuff. I'd
> suggest
> trying a file transfer benchmark. Simply scp a large file over your
> connection and see what sort of throughput you get, taking note
> along the way
> of any stalls, drops in speed, etc.

Or you might just use bonnie to test the entire system at once,
including the filesystem itself.

>> Come to think of it 108Mbit is higher than 100Mbit, so looking at
>> the raw
>> numbers, your 100Mbit ethernet would be the bottleneck.  In
>> practice, I bet
>> the wireless has overhead that eats up a chunk of the bandwidth
>> before
>> getting to ethernet.  Hmm...not like it really matters.
>
> Wireless bandwidth claims are a joke -- more marketing bullshit
> than fact.
> Unless you have a clean line of sight and zero interference, good luck
> getting even *half* of the supposed throughput. I've got an 802.11g
> bridge at
> home, Linksys WAP54G as the base station on the main floor, Linksys
> WRT54GS
> as the bridge device upstairs, not much in between them but the
> ceiling/floor. Very typical setup someone would have in a home, and
> I can't
> get anything better than about 20Mbps sustained throughput.

Remember that the manufacturers can't even agree about what a MB or a
GB is, even when they admit they are using 1000 instead of the more
correct 1024 they still state categorically that "actual capacity
will be less", and they specify "unformatted" capacity, as if anybody
ever could or would use an unformatted drive.

Funny how their "errors" are always in the direction that makes the
product sound better. As you said, marketing not engineering.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org