[mythtv-users] VFD Display

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Mar 26 20:46:45 UTC 2007

mike wrote:
> On Sunday 25 March 2007 17:03, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> Hidden away somewhere in the lirc instructions is the little gem that
>> you must have the lirc items as the first entries in
>> modprobe.conf...otherwise lirc does not load properly. Although most
>> modules will 'call' for their dependencies, lirc does apparently does
>> not. My modprobe.conf has (lines 1 to 3):
>>
>> alias char-major 61 lirc_i2c
>> alias char-major-61 lirc_dev
>> alias char-major-61 lirc_imon
>>
>> Geoff
>
> Hi Geoff,
>
> Out of exasperation, I have been following this. I don't have VFD, but the
> LIRC references are what I'm interested in. Hauppauge PVR-150/remote.
>
> I realize most of you on this list don't use Debian on your MythTV, but I need
> to figure this out. Lirc works perfectly until a reboot.
>
> Now, using a 2.6.20.4 kernel, (I have also tried 2.6.18, and two others in the
> 2.6.20.xx range) I have entered the info you mention above (minus the
> lirc_imon) in /etc/modules, to load at boot. (Result- the modules load, but
> LIRC doesn't work.)
>
> I looked at /etc/modules.conf file and it very specifically says
> "DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE!",
> and there is no /etc/modprobe.conf.
> So I'm trying to discern where to put the module names so they ARE loaded
> properly at boot, and lirc works after.
>
> I have asked on the debian-users mailing list, and have had zero responses
> after 24 hours. I am thinking I may not get this working until either Lirc
> changes something or the Linux-kernel changes something.

Debian uses a different name for the modprobe.conf file. You will have
to google for it...Ubuntu is based on Debian and may have the same name
as debian..

Otherwise, and in the meantime, put what you want to do in
/etc/rc.local. That script file is run after all the other init stuff
and just before the window manamger loads.

You DO need a line like lirc_imon, even if you are doing it as a
'modprobe lirc_imon in rc.local. Otherwise lirc does not know which
driver to use!

THe lirc docs are horribly obscure. They are exactly correct but have no
context, so you cannot go back and do things again because you have not
been told that some of the steps are (without other steps) irreversible.

You need:  a /dev/lirc (created by udev hopefully)
  an lircd deamon to be run as an init script (service)
an lircd.conf file which gives the raw keycodes and maps them to keys
an lircrc file which maps the keys to key commands in your programs.
some luck and remember to cross the third and fourth fingers of your
*left* hand hehind you back...

Geoff

              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor