[mythtv-users] MB fried - suggestions to replace or upgrade?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 26 16:16:12 UTC 2007

On Mar 26, 2007, at 9:49 AM, Shane Hickey wrote:

> So, I think I'm going to go with this suggestion.  I'm putting
> together the system now and I was hoping that people could let me
> know if they see anything that might burn me?
>
> 1X - Antec NSK2400 Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?
> Item=N82E16811129014
> 	- I read some negative comments about fans, so I thought I'd get
> the following 2 fans.  I was thinking one as intake and one as
> exhaust?  I think I was reading that the fluid dynamic fans only do
> exhaust well?  With the 2 fans that come with the case that'll give
> me 4 to play with.. surely I can find 2 that work out of those 4.
> 1X - ARCTIC COOLING 120mm fliud dynamic fans - http://
> www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186008
> 1X - SILVERSTONE FM121 120mm 17-39.5 DBA fan - http://
> www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999344
> 1X - winTV-pvr 500 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?
> Item=N82E16815116628
> 	- NEED TYPE A!
> 1X - winTV-pvr 350 - I already have this from my fried box
> 2X - SAMSUNG 500GB SATA drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/
> Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152052
> 	- still trying to decide if I want to do software raid 0, 1 or no
> raid on these.  I'll do LVM2 for my /video parition, though.
> 1X - SI-128 CPU cooling heatsink - http://www.newegg.com/Product/
> Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109129
> 1X abit NF-M2 motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/
> Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127013
> 1X AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/
> Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103751
> 2X 1G Memory 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - http://www.newegg.com/
> Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134009
> 1X - SAMSUNG DVD burner - http://www.newegg.com/Product/
> Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151136
> 1X - LITE-ON DVD ROM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?
> Item=N82E16827106066
> 	- I think I'm only getting this so I can copy disk to disk... and
> cause it's only $18 ;)
>
> I appreciate any feedback.  Even if it's, "you are an idiot". ;)

OK, you're an idiot. Just kidding.

The compgeeks have a 500GB Seagate refurb for $129, but for $10 going
with a new one might make sense, though I have no experience with
Samsung units. Not sure how you'd do RAID with a single drive though,
are you using a drive from the old machine?

Not sure what the type A PVR-500 is, if you mean you're trying to not
get the Samsung tuners that's probably a good idea as they are very
sensitive to levels according to a lot of folks here.

The PSU might be a little bit on the marginal side, the total wattage
might be OK but units that small often hit the limit on individual
voltages before they hit the total load limit, and the three tuners
plus that CPU will pull some power. Probably be OK but I'd be careful.