[mythtv-users] Serial Control of my TV

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sat Mar 24 14:48:38 UTC 2007

On 24 Mar 2007, at 12:32, Brent wrote:

> One of my HDTVs has a Serial port on it that is labeled as a control
> port and I can't find a lot about it.  I am guessing it will let me
> change the channel and such, which using MythTV I am not that worried
> about.  I would like to be able to turn the TV on and off via it
> though.

I think it depends on your TV - you'd be advised to at least post the
model number.

My new TV (Sharp Aquos LC-42XD1E) also has one of these ports -
apparently it conforms to the RS-232 spec, and the section of manual
that covers it is quite comprehensive - see pages 34 & 35 of <http://
www.tradenet.sharp.co.uk/files/Consumer_Electronics/LCD_Television/
LC42XD1E/LC42XD1E145.pdf>

I've only had this TV about a week, so I can't yet comment any
further on its serial port - it annoys me slightly that it seems to
have a power off "control item", but not power on.

Stroller.