[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun for SDTV?

Matt Mossholder matt at mossholder.com
Sat Mar 24 03:38:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 18:22 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> Matt Mossholder wrote:
> > Most users now have threaded mail readers and read the mail in batches.
> >

> That's true for people who subscribe to the list.  Not everyone does,
> though, and most web archives seem to have rather poor thread support.
> Often when I'm doing web searches I find one message but have no way of
> retrieving the rest of the thread, so the extra context is helpful.

True, but in this case, bottom posting or top posting makes very little
difference, since all of the content is present either way. It may be
less convenient for people performing searches to actually read the
thread, but in all likelihood, they are going to be jumping into the
middle anyway, and combined with trimming, they are probably somewhat
lost from the start.

In an odd sort of way, the argument about web-based readers lends
support to top posting but not trimming, in my mind. You won't catch me
doing it though :)

> I think the whole issue comes down to laziness; some people just aren't
> willing to take the extra ten seconds to trim their text and then move
> the cursor to the bottom.  They'd rather waste everyone else's time and
> bandwidth.

I totally agree that it comes down to laziness, but when it comes to
wasting time, I think that both the top and bottom posters are equally
to blame (based on lack of trimming).

Anyway... we've probably strolled off topic enough ... no more responses
from me! :)

		--Matt