[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun for SDTV?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Mar 24 01:22:49 UTC 2007

Matt Mossholder wrote:
> Most users now have threaded mail readers and read the mail in batches.

That's true for people who subscribe to the list.  Not everyone does,
though, and most web archives seem to have rather poor thread support.
Often when I'm doing web searches I find one message but have no way of
retrieving the rest of the thread, so the extra context is helpful.

> Given my druthers (which I don't have on this list, and am not
> campaigning for), I would much rather have people top post, simply
> because most people don't trim. It's also harder to train the masses to
> trim-and-top-post, when most mailers encourage top posting.

I think people are more likely to trim if they bottom-post, because
bottom-posting forces them to look at the rest of the text.  (This is
part of the reason why most mail programs stick the cursor at the top, I
suspect; you're going to be doing trimming up there anyway.)  When
you're top-posting it's easy to just type the text and hit SEND, without
bothering to trim anything.

I think the whole issue comes down to laziness; some people just aren't
willing to take the extra ten seconds to trim their text and then move
the cursor to the bottom.  They'd rather waste everyone else's time and
bandwidth.