[mythtv-users] HD success!

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Mar 22 19:13:01 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Rich West wrote:
>>> Staying away from VIA chipsets is never a bad idea either.
>> Dumb question here, and causing this to drift off topic, but why is
>> this
>> (avoiding VIA) the case?  I've seen a number of other related
>> comments,
>> and, well, I am just curious as to the reasoning....
>> Well, that and the fact that, after looking things over, all of my
>> systems are VIA-based (never tried pushing HD with them, though).
> VIA chipsets, especially earlier ones, had/have problems with DMA
> that have been known to cause problems with IVTV (see their site):
> http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Via_motherboard_problems
> Some of these problems may have been corrected by now, but "once
> bitten"...

So you don"t actually know what might have been wrong, if there actually
was anything wrong with Via chipsets (as disticnt to some other cause)..
You agree with a drive-by slagging, which is basically completely devoid
of meaningful content .

And you completely discount the possibility that IF the un-named chipset
was the source of the problem, it has not been corrected.

I'd bet you believe Al Gore invented the internet...because you seem
entirely too gullible.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury
        Helping with the HTTP issue