[mythtv-users] transcoding: restoring original files

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Mar 22 13:46:20 UTC 2007

On Thursday 22 March 2007 02:40, David Murphy wrote:
> What is the correct way to restore the original file after transcoding?
>
> I have option selected to keep a copy of the original after transcoding.
>    I end up w/ filename.mpg.old and filename.nuv.  Am I supposed to just
> ssh in to the box and do:
>
> mv filename.mpg.old filename.nuv
>
> Will I screw up the db by doing this?  Is there a preferred method?

I've done a couple of experiments on something similar, but I was copying back
a backup file or copying a file that I'd transcoded myself to the original
name. In my test, I needed to use EXACTLY the original filename. Even if the
extension of the new file was different, I needed to use the original. This
could be confusing if you ever wanted to go back and work with the file on
the command line. My restored files seemed to play OK, but I didn't try
anything fancy, like commercial flagging or editing.

If you're not concerned about the metadata, you might consider moving the
original to the videos directory and viewing it from there rather than from
the TV recordings directory. (You might even be able to retrieve metadata
from the IMDB once it's in the videos directory.) OTOH, features like
commercial flagging and editing simply aren't available to videos, AFAIK.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com