[mythtv-users] US Gov gives $80 credit towards purchase of HD equipment??

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:28:04 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Mar 19, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> >
> >> We have a >50year old Zenith on our back porch.  If I replace a 5u4
> >> and
> >> a 12au7, it will work again... for another 2 years.
> >
> > You can buy solid-state replacements for the 5U4 if you have trouble
> > finding the actual tube.
> >
> > Depending on what it's doing in the circuit you may be able to use a
> > 12AX7 in place of the 12AU7, both are dual triodes with the same
> > basing, the differences are interelectrode capacitances,
> > transconductance and a few other factors.
> >
> > I'm surprised the CRT is still good, make sure you adjust the
> > permanent magnet ion trap properly to ensure continued life.
> >
> > Brian Wood
> > beww at beww.org
> My daily use TV is a Sony Trinitron 32" CRT which is now about 24 years
> old..and still going strong. My wife says we will get an LCD 'when the
> Sony dies'. I suspect however, that I will require the services of some
> tent pegs and Buffy the Vampire Slayer to get that to happen...Unless I
> can find some silver bullets.....
> Geoff

Funny thing, a co-worker and I were discussing these old Sony
Trinitron tv's yesterday, he has one that just died last year sadly,
and my father has one (the tv I grew up with) that my parents have
since put in their bedroom that is still going strong. I believe your
silver bullet theory may well hold true.

p.s. sorry for creating the monster this thread has turned into...
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -