[mythtv-users] US Gov gives $80 credit towards purchase of HD equipment??

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:28:04 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Mar 19, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> >
> >> We have a >50year old Zenith on our back porch.  If I replace a 5u4
> >> and
> >> a 12au7, it will work again... for another 2 years.
> >
> > You can buy solid-state replacements for the 5U4 if you have trouble
> > finding the actual tube.
> >
> > Depending on what it's doing in the circuit you may be able to use a
> > 12AX7 in place of the 12AU7, both are dual triodes with the same
> > basing, the differences are interelectrode capacitances,
> > transconductance and a few other factors.
> >
> > I'm surprised the CRT is still good, make sure you adjust the
> > permanent magnet ion trap properly to ensure continued life.
> >
> > Brian Wood
> > beww at beww.org
>
> My daily use TV is a Sony Trinitron 32" CRT which is now about 24 years
> old..and still going strong. My wife says we will get an LCD 'when the
> Sony dies'. I suspect however, that I will require the services of some
> tent pegs and Buffy the Vampire Slayer to get that to happen...Unless I
> can find some silver bullets.....
>
> Geoff

Funny thing, a co-worker and I were discussing these old Sony
Trinitron tv's yesterday, he has one that just died last year sadly,
and my father has one (the tv I grew up with) that my parents have
since put in their bedroom that is still going strong. I believe your
silver bullet theory may well hold true.

p.s. sorry for creating the monster this thread has turned into...
--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!