[mythtv-users] blurriness when playing 1080i -> 1080i

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Sun Mar 18 08:46:32 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 02:41:35PM -0700, Seth Daniel wrote:
> All,
>
> I've been trying to figure out some problems I'm having when playing
> 1080i content when the Nvidia driver is configured to play at
> 1920x1080i.
>
> When I don't deinterlace the 1080i video the playback is smooth but will
> be blurry for 20 seconds, then non-blurry for 20 seconds, then blurry
> again,...  If I deinterlace the image the playback is not smooth but
> there is no blurriness (regardless of deinterlacing technique).  I have
> a dual core AMD64 3800.  The CPU isn't working too hard regardless of
> settings.  I haven't actually timed the blurriness.  It may be 7 seconds
> or 15 seconds.  I don't know that there is any significance in the
> length of time the blurriness lasts.
[...]

If it helps: each time the image switches from blurry to beautiful and
then back to blurry it is 15 seconds.  So, it's blurry for 15 seconds,
then beautiful for 15 seconds, then blurry for 15 more seconds, then
beautiful for 15 seconds, etc...

The blurriness only happens around action.  Anything that is static
won't be blurry.  Imagine a field with a giant logo in the middle and
people running around on it.  If the camera is locked then the people
will be blurry but the logo will look fine.  If the camera pans then
the logo may look blurry along with the people running around.

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org