[mythtv-users] Performance issues with new hardware.

Jon jon at sd-6.org
Fri Mar 16 23:08:07 UTC 2007

I have a frontend that runs on the following hardware:
Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M/AMD Sempron 3400+/1gb ram/Nvidia FX 5200 32mb AGP
Chipset: VIA K8M800\VIA 8237R
More info:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=1919&ProductName=GA-K8VM800M

using ffmpeg decoder, cpu usage hovers around 50% with HD video.
Generally runs very smooth.  However there is an issue where it will
sometimes hard lock when bringing up the guide, bringing up the
recording options from the guide, or when dismissing the guide.  This
seems completely random but is more likely to happen if I navigate
quickly.  Knowing that the via chipsets have dma/interrupt problems, I
bought a new nvidia motherboard.

Biostar NF61S Micro 754
Chipset: NVIDIA MCP61S(GeForce 6100/nForce 405)
More info:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php?name=NF61S%20Micro%20754

Swapped cpu/memory into new board.  Using onboard video(Nvidia 6100)
pci-e, also tried Nvidia 6600 pci-e laying around.  Good news is it no
longer hard locks in the guide.  However now no matter what I do cpu
usage is peaked.  Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,
Jon