[mythtv-users] unusual behavior of transcoded mpeg-4 recordings

David Murphy dm1000 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 01:33:21 UTC 2007

On 3/15/07, David Murphy <dm1000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been transcoding HD and SD programs captured by my air2pc card.
> The programs transcode fine and look great when played back.  I can skip
> and jump forward or back to my hearts content and the playback will
> resume normally.  However, if I pause, fast forward or rewind at any
> speed, playback will not resume properly.  For example, if I pause a
> transcoded program and then resume playback the video appears to play at
> ~1/2 speed or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that it appears
> to play at 1/2 normal framerate although the audio remains synced. If I
> were then to press Fast Forward to 3x speed the video smooths out and
> plays at normal framerate except of course there is no audio.

It figures that as soon as I post a msg about this I figure out what
is going on.  For some reason pausing or ff/rw is resetting how the
player is handling the interlacing.  If I start the video from the
beginning it plays perfectly.  If I pause and then play the video myth
seems to want to start deinterlacing the file.  If I then open the osd
menu and select video scan>progressive the video returns to normal
playback.   This seems like a bug.  Not sure if this has already been
addressed as I may have been searching for the wrong terms.