[mythtv-users] For whom the bell tolls [RM for DVB aka CPCM]

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 18:34:39 UTC 2007

On 3/14/07, Stroller <stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> That leads me quite quickly to <http://www.eff.org/spam/
> position_on_junk_email.php>, which seems quite reasonable to me.
>
> Stroller.

I've got to agree with Stroller here. From the EFF site:

"Fundamentally, EFF believes that email recipients should control when
and how they receive their mail. To the greatest extent possible,
anti-spam measures should be controlled by end users, and any measure
for stopping spam must ensure that all non-spam messages reach their
intended recipients. When antispam measures prevent activists and
nonprofits from sending and receiving bulk noncommercial mail, EFF
considers this a problem commensurate with the problem of spam itself.
Another problem arises when antispam measures sacrifice a citizen's
ability to engage in anonymous free speech, which the Supreme Court
has ruled countless times is protected under the First Amendment.

"Spam is currently regulated by state and national laws, as well as
thousands of company policies. Antispam grassroots groups and software
developers also provide tools designed to stem the flood of unwanted
mail. EFF is involved in lawsuits, policy discussions, and activist
campaigns to make sure that antispam measures don't go too far — that
they don't stamp out our liberties in the process of liberating our
inboxes from unwanted junk mail. That said, EFF enthusiastically
endorses antispam measures and policies that preserve free speech by
allowing users to determine what kinds of messages will be filtered
out and which ones won't."

What exactly is your problem with this position?