[mythtv-users] Migrating from Fedora Core to Ubuntu

john sturgeon john.sturgeon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 21:49:23 UTC 2007

On 3/9/07, john sturgeon <john.sturgeon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Tom Greer <trgreer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > john sturgeon wrote:
>
> > > I do plan on migrating both, but not simultaneously.
> > >
> > > I'm thinking here, that I will just use Edgy's MythTV rpm, unless
> > > folks would advise against that?
> >
> > John,
> >
> > I've been down this road before.  Perhaps I didn't explain myself
> > clearly, so here is more detail.
> >
> > I have an existing setup with tow boxes.  One is a combo
> > frontend/backend.  The other is a dedicated frontend.  Both of these
> > are running MythTV on Fedora Core 6.
> >
> > I was adding a third frontend.  Because of frequent upgrade problems
> > on Fedora (like dependency conflicts, having to reconfigure nvidia and
> > lirc on every kernel upgrade, etc.).  I decided to experiment with
> > Ubuntu.  (I have been happily using Ubuntu for my personal desktop
> > system for quite a while.)
> >
> > First I used the Edgy RPMs.  When I tried to access my backend, I got
> > an error message stating the the frontend was using an older protocol
> > than the backend.
> >

> That's good to know.  I'll make sure I migrate both frontend and
> backend on the same day.

One quick update for folks who might want to go the same path.  I
installed Ubuntu on my frontend and installed the mythtv packages and
it connected to my FC4 backend flawlessly!    On another note, all of
my HD playback issues are *gone*.  All of them; stuttering watching
currently recorded shows, pausing and restart stuttering problems,
prebuffering pauses when not using XvmC... everything.  I'm ecstatic.

--
John <><