[mythtv-users] Whether to have to install video, sound and lirc drivers?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 19:32:38 UTC 2007

On 08/03/07, HHH <mythtv at zj165.com> wrote:
> I just want to try building and compiling mythtv, and I have not TV card
> also by hand now. I want to install with binary way, and then remove mythtv
> and compile from source code!

Spurred on by Brian's reply:

You want to *carefully* read the following HOWTO:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Fedora_Core

It first has you install MythTV from binaries, then remove them and
install SVN source code and compile that.

> Shall I have to install the Video card drivers and sound drivers?? my
> copmuter with fedora core 6 is running well for video and sound.

If you want to have optimal HDTV playback, you might want to install
the nvidia driver from nvidia.com. If you are only playing back
SDTV/DVDs, then the OSS nv driver is probably more than sufficient.
The ALSA sound drivers from Fedora 6 are fine.

> If I don't install the captuere card drivers and lirc, would there be any
> problem for me to finish the install according to jarod's guide:

You may not be able to run the backend without a capture card
installed (not sure if this has changed recently) but you can run the
frontend plugins for DVDs, video and music without the backend
running.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: