[mythtv-users] Fonts unreadable in GDM/Xorg with Ubuntu

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 15:04:40 UTC 2007

On 3/8/07, jason maxwell <decepticon at gmail.com> wrote:
> ...until I try to start GDM, where the font is so small I cant tell if
> it's supposed to be text, or the screen has dust on it. So,
> hardware-wise, I've got my Nvidia 6200 PCI-e (latest proprietary
> drivers) attached via DVI cable -> HDMI adapter to my Toshiba 720p DLP
> HDTV. Maybe it has something to do with EDID setting DPI or something?
> I will do some Googling today, but thought I'd ping the list first.
> You guys always point me in the right direction.
> Thanks,
> -J

A couple things you can check.  Run "xdpyinfo | grep resolution" and
you should see your current running DPI.  If it's not 100, that's
likely your problem.  I found that I had to use these two options in
my Device section of xorg.conf to force 100dpi:

Option  "UseEdidDpi"  "False"
Option  "DPI"  "100 x 100"