[mythtv-users] Looking for a good Ubuntu Install Guide

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Wed Mar 7 17:09:46 UTC 2007

Jordan Roth wrote:
> I have been a MythTV user for about 12 months now and have greatly
> enjoyed watching when I want to watch.  However, I have set up a Linux
> box with Ubuntu and enjoy Ubuntu.  I have been a loyal Fedora user for
> years and I am looking for a "HOW-TO" or an install guide that is as
> comprehensive as Jarrod's MythTV for Fedora guide.  Does any one have
> any suggestions or a guide themselves.
>
> I am using Ubuntu 6.10 Efty Edge
> I have an Nvidia 5200, PVR-150(w/remote) and a PCHDTV-5500
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --
> Jordan Roth
Hi Jordan,

I would say that the Community Ubuntu MythTV Guide is very good:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV
but I think there's quite a nasty problem with it. I've gone through it
twice now and although the steps are very clear, I never get the end 'ta
da' moment. There's always a problem logging into MySql. If you know
your Linux, then this is probably not much of a problem. I got past it
once, then the entire system died on me. I've been through the guide
again since, but have forgotten what I did with the MySql bit so I need
to work it out again. Unfortunately, family and work life have kept me
away from fixing it for about 3 weeks now but I think everything is
close to being up and running, once I figure out how to make sure MySql
is set up properly again.
I think that Ubuntu sets a password for MySql different to what the
guides suggest for Myth and that's where the confusion comes in.

Here's another very good guide.
http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php

Just found this one too
http://www.slash32.com/ubuntu-myth.html