[mythtv-users] Looking for a good Ubuntu Install Guide

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Wed Mar 7 17:09:46 UTC 2007

Jordan Roth wrote:
> I have been a MythTV user for about 12 months now and have greatly
> enjoyed watching when I want to watch.  However, I have set up a Linux
> box with Ubuntu and enjoy Ubuntu.  I have been a loyal Fedora user for
> years and I am looking for a "HOW-TO" or an install guide that is as
> comprehensive as Jarrod's MythTV for Fedora guide.  Does any one have
> any suggestions or a guide themselves.
> I am using Ubuntu 6.10 Efty Edge
> I have an Nvidia 5200, PVR-150(w/remote) and a PCHDTV-5500
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> --
> Jordan Roth
Hi Jordan,

I would say that the Community Ubuntu MythTV Guide is very good:
but I think there's quite a nasty problem with it. I've gone through it
twice now and although the steps are very clear, I never get the end 'ta
da' moment. There's always a problem logging into MySql. If you know
your Linux, then this is probably not much of a problem. I got past it
once, then the entire system died on me. I've been through the guide
again since, but have forgotten what I did with the MySql bit so I need
to work it out again. Unfortunately, family and work life have kept me
away from fixing it for about 3 weeks now but I think everything is
close to being up and running, once I figure out how to make sure MySql
is set up properly again.
I think that Ubuntu sets a password for MySql different to what the
guides suggest for Myth and that's where the confusion comes in.

Here's another very good guide.

Just found this one too
but it may be a bit dated.

Good luck