[mythtv-users] California User Requests Custom Build

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 7 06:14:54 UTC 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 10:55 PM, Nick Newsom wrote:

> Hello.  I am in need of a customer Myth DVR setup.
>
> Needs:
>
> Record 5-10 Television Stations
> DirecTV
> Store content for 2 weeks, about: 3,360 hours
> Low to Medium Video Quality
> Ability to copy content to DVD
> Ability to pick program (from guide or date/time) and stream program
> over web
> Fully hosted solution in my data center
>
> Looking for someone with good communication skills.  A local
> consultant
> near Irvine, CA. is even better.

For that kind of system, especially the amount of storage you're
talking about, Myth may not be the best solution, although it could
be done.

You might want to look into some of the commercial industrial/
broadcast systems. I'm sure Tektronix would love to talk to you.

 From what it sounds like you might also want to consult an attorney
about retransmission rights, redistribution rights, syndicated
exclusivity and a host of other things such a system could run afoul
of, especially the "stream over the web" part. Retransmitting
DirectTV to anyone but yourself might cause problems as well.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just keep you out of trouble.