[mythtv-users] Surround Sound Processing in Linux

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Mar 6 21:02:07 UTC 2007

On 5 Mar 2007, at 22:14, Karl Hegbloom wrote:
> The attached .asoundrc makes the default ALSA device be a 5.1 channel
> surround sound device.  It works for me with an Epox motherboard with
> Nvidia NForce and the snd_intel8x0 driver.

Am I right in thinking you're playing back 5.1 through your PC's
soundcard & a set of 5 regular speakers connected with regular jack-
plugs, please?

As I understand it, the majority of people playing 5.1 are doing so
via optical cables to external "AV receivers" (??), which would seem
to add a chunk of cost to the setup.

Is there any reason not to use a set of regular 5.1 computer
speakers, assuming ones of a decent quality can be found? Is it
possible to do the processing on-board of the MythTV box? (and cut
out the additional receiver)

Stroller.