[mythtv-users] Can I restrict live-TV to certain tuners?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 02:48:34 UTC 2007

On 3/5/07, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> > On Mar 5, 2007, at 12:58 PM, ryan patterson wrote:
> >
> >> On my MythTV backend I have 4 HD tuners hooked up to an antenna and
> >> one SD tuner hooked to a cable box (with irblaster control).  I
> >> only want to have Live-TV access one HD tuner.  I want to reserve
> >> the cable box tuner and three HD tuners for recording scheduled
> >> shows.  The fourth HD tuner should always be reserved for HD Live-TV.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately I see no way to limit the tuners that are available
> >> to live-TV.  Is there any way to do what I am suggesting?  As it is
> >> now entering Live-TV sometimes selects the cable box tuner and
> >> sometimes selects a HD tuner.  This behavior is very confusing to
> >> the geriatrics in the house.
> >> --
> >
> > If you order your tuners by priority (putting the one you want to use
>
> This is almost the perfect answer except:
>
> s/proirity/card number/
>
> "Priority" is for scheduled recording decisions and has
> nothing to do with live TV card selection.
>
> > for Live TV last) and tell Myth to try to reduce LiveTV conflicts by
> > using the tuner least likely to have a recording coming up, you will
> > always get that last tuner unless it's actually recording something.
> > This is probably the functionality you really want.
>
> Correct, given that "last tuner" is the highest numbered
> cardid and has nothing to do with any scheduler priority
> value.
>
> If the cardids are:
>
> 1 HD
> 2 HD
> 3 HD
> 4 cable box
> 5 HD
>
> and TV Settings->General "Avold conflict between live TV and
> scheduled shows", Live TV will always choose card 5 for the
> first instance of a Live TV session. That is, unless there are
> exactly 4 simultaneous HD recordings and zero cable recordings.
>
> Further, the input priority for the input on card 5 could be
> lowered to -1 so that the scheduler would reassigned recordings
> to later showings on 1, 2 or 3 whenever possible instead of using
> card 5.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.6
>
> > For that matter, the functionality you REALLY want is no one to ever
> > watch LiveTV and only watch what's been recorded. ;)
>
> Correct again.
>
> --  bjm

Thank you for the good response bjm.  So MythTV never uses the tuner
priority for Live-TV and instead just uses the highest number card to choose
the Live-TV tuner.  I will give reordering the tuners a shot.

Furthermore I don't really understand how the card numbers are assigned.
Right now I have the following tuners: HD1, HD2, HD5, HD6, & cable7.  Tuners
3 & 4 were deleted before adding tuners 5, 6 & 7.  Yet when I exit
mythtv-setup it displays warnings about tuners 3 & 4 (i.e. Tuner 3 is set to
start on channel 2 which doesn't exist, do you want to fix this. . . etc).