[mythtv-users] Upgrade old or cut my losses and buy new?

David Murphy dm1000 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 22:14:27 UTC 2007

I'm using a Sempron 3400 w/ 256KB L2 cache on the Asus M2NPV-VM in my
frontend. I'm outputting HD from my air2pc card to a 27" SD tv at the
moment.  Initially HD was unwatchable.  XvMC gave reasonably smooth
playback at ~90% cpu without any deinterlacing but the audio was screwed
up. Ffmpeg and libmpeg2 would put xorg usage at 40-50% and and
mythfrontend at 50-60% and the content was unwatchable.

Then I discovered the xorg.conf device option of "UseEvents" "True" for
the onboard Nvidia graphics and now everything is more or less peachy.
XvMC is still unusable due to audio issues but with libmpeg2 and bob
deinterlacing I am seeing ~10% xorg usage and ~50-60% mythfrontend
usage. Total system load is rarely over 75% cpu usage when watching
1080i content and the audio is perfect.

I'm still seeing the occasional jerk or stutter, mostly on scene pans
but I don't think this has anything to do with the cpu as the cpu is
always at least %25 idle when they occur and many people with much
faster systems than mine report they are still trying to iron these
issues out.