[mythtv-users] SPDIF and HDMI

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 20:59:47 UTC 2007

Mithcell, you were so right.  IEC958 was muted, i unmuted and played an .au
file and that worked.  However, watching a recording all i got was garbage
noise.  So i had to put the mixer back to /dev/dsp (not adsp),  put the
passthrough output device to ALSA:iec958, than enable the passthrough
checkboxes.  Now everything works.  Thanks so much.

On 3/4/07, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

> yes you have to enable IEC958 in the mixer.
>
> in terminal "alsamixer" use the arrow keys and move over to IEC958 and
> push 'm' to unmute them, there maybe a bunch of them or just one.  My sound
> card have about 5 differant IEC's i just played with them until i heard
> sound.  A good way to test is to let mplayer play something with digital
> audio in the background to do this use...
>
> mplayer -ac hwac3 filename
>
> Now mess with the switches until you hear something.
>
> Mitchell
>
> On 3/4/07, MacNean Tyrrell < dardack at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ok the card came with 2 cables, (that each one one end has a connected
> > that attaches to the video card).  One goes to Male RCA and one has 2 prongs
> > that are supposed to connect to the SPDIF on the motherboard, the orange
> > goes to SPDIF prong and the Black to GND.  I've tried both and audio doesn't
> > seem to pass through.  Do i have to set soemthing up specifically for SPDIF?

> > > It might be controllable by some Windows-only utility that came with
> > > the card, but if it has only 1 set of audio inputs I'd think it
> > > should just pass through. Also check for jumpers and make sure the
> > > cable you're using has the requisite conductors for audio.
> > >

> > --
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > MacNean C. Tyrrell

Sincerely,