[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 3 23:02:50 UTC 2007

On 03/03/2007 04:29 PM, Calin Brabandt wrote:
> If even locals!  I had the same experience with
> Comcast here in Portland, OR.  After they 5C'ed
> everything but the locals, I exercised my consumer
> will and canceled all my premium subs.  A few months
> ago, 5C "copy once" showed up on the local NBC and PBS
> HD channels.  From my reading of the FCC regs, Comcast
> is in violation.  The regs say that any service
> available OTA must remain in the clear from the cable
> provider.

Those regs currently apply only to analog channels (as they were written
before the existence of digital channels), and there has not yet been a
definitive statement about whether they will be amended to include the
digital channels.

After all, AIUI, the regs are there to allow people who can't receive
local channels OTA to receive emergency broadcast and other critical
news information for public safety without being forced to rent an STB
(i.e. to supplement OTA distribution of emergency information).  And,
regardless of what you may currently think, you can still get emergency
information from a standard-definition broadcast...  (I kind of doubt
the Emergency Alert System (follow-on to the Emergency Broadcast System)
attention signal sounds that much better in 5.1 channel AC-3. ;)

So, I wouldn't be surprised if the regs are not amended until standard
definition broadcasts cease to exist.

Mike