[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Calin Brabandt cbrabandt at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 21:29:26 UTC 2007

Greg Woods wrote:

> When I first started setting up my MythTV
> system, most channels were available via firewire,
> but now only the broadcast network stations are
> not 5C encrypted.

If even locals!  I had the same experience with
Comcast here in Portland, OR.  After they 5C'ed
everything but the locals, I exercised my consumer
will and canceled all my premium subs.  A few months
ago, 5C "copy once" showed up on the local NBC and PBS
HD channels.  From my reading of the FCC regs, Comcast
is in violation.  The regs say that any service
available OTA must remain in the clear from the cable
provider.  I called Comcast
and simply got a combination of cluelessness and
run-around, which seems to be all too common from what
I've read on avsforum.com.

The FCC is too busy censoring and enforcing stupid
obscenity rules (or rather the absence of definitive
obscenity rules) to find time enforce any of these
consumer protections.  My only recourse is to cancel
my hardware rental, return my Comcast STB and remote,
and use QAM decoders entirely, which I have in both my
TV and Dvico Fusion PCI card.

-Cal