[mythtv-users] AMD guide to building a Media PC

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 3 03:17:47 UTC 2007

On Mar 2, 2007, at 8:02 PM, Ian Forde wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 18:57 -0800, Tom Greer wrote:
>> Since this is directly from NVIDIA, it makes me feel very comfortable
>> that my choices in hardware are sufficient to support full HDTV
>> without any annoying prebuffering pauses.
>
> I wouldn't.  That's marketing speak you've been reading.  And I'd bet
> that the marketing folks never talk to the folks that write the Linux
> drivers... ;)
>
> <Yoda voice>
> "PureVideo HD video processing?" Heh. "Media and Communications
> Processor?" Feh. Our own counsel this list will keep when choosing
> HDTV-capable hardware.
> </Yoda voice>

Yeah, "Pure Video" is a creature of Windows and I'll bet there are no
Linux drivers that know what to do with the MCP.

It may be a good idea for folks running Windows who can put up with
DRM-ridden systems limited to 2 tuners that will never be able to
skip commercials, but I suspect it's not of much interest to most of
the folks here.

Note that the suggested CPU is marginal at best for HD, I'd guess
they are counting on help from the GPU and/or MCP.

But I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from posting what
looks like it even might be of interest, and this is certainly one
place to go for feedback on such discoveries.

I suspect this is a case of paying a lot for "extras" that a Myth
system can't and probably never will be able to use.