[mythtv-users] PVR-350 no video out

Miah Gregory mace at darksilence.net
Thu Mar 1 23:24:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 12:48 -0500, David King wrote:
> Miah Gregory wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 12:56 -0600, Timm wrote:
> >> I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.19; updated the rest of the system to the
> >> latest versions as well; using Archlinux.
> >>
> >> Suddenly I have no video out from my PVR-350 when I try to watch tv
> >>(or
> >> movies) from Mythtv.
> >>
> >> I do have audio.
> >>
> >> Where do I begin looking for the problem?
> >>
> >> dmesg has 2 lines that concerned me straight off; both on the pvr-350
> >> and the pvr-150, the ivtv configuration area reports
> >> that i2c_adapter client creation failed; not sure what that means.
> >>
> >> Anyone else had this problem?
> >
> > I've just upgraded to 2.6.18, ivtv 0.10.0 and myth 0.20 and got
> > something similar - with the PVR350 accelerated output option enabled
> > in
> > the frontend, I get audio but no video. With it disabled, I get audio,
> > letterboxed video and lots of artifacts with the OSD/playback jitters
> > whenever the machine isn't completely idle (not entirely
> > surprisingly).
> >
> > Having looked around the various mailing lists I can't find any other
> > reference to this behaviour.
>
> I had the no video problem mentioned in the original post.  I discovered
> that with ivtv 0.10.0 there's a new module option PVR-350 users must use
> with the ivtv-fb module, "osd_compat=1".  That fixed the problem for me.
>
> See http://www.mail-archive.com/ivtv-users@ivtvdriver.org/msg05748.html
> (for example) for the announcement of this change.

Interesting - I'd seen that and had added it to my /etc/modules file,
but still got the blank screen thing. I'll investigate further, perhaps
the option isn't being picked up correctly given the way I'm using the
module (I have it set up as console so I can see how the boot process is
proceeding).

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

--
Miah Gregory