[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Jun 27 21:35:06 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 16:37 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> It surely would be interesting to know how long serious penetration of
> color sets took.

I think that's a reasonable analogy. I was a kid when color began to
replace B+W, and of course I wanted Dad to get a color TV right away.
But they cost three times as much as a B+W and only a few programs were
broadcast in color, so he wouldn't spend the money. But my Dad was a
sports fan too, and when the football games became available in color,
he was singing a different tune. We got our first color set in 1969,
which I think was a few years after most of the people whose houses I
visited had color sets. As a guess, I think it was about 5 years between
color becoming available and when virtually all sales of new TV's were
color sets.

--Greg