[mythtv-users] ivtv capture is good, but mythtv hoses it

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 27 16:41:06 UTC 2007

On 06/27/2007 11:42 AM, Raphael Pooser wrote:
> Can you expound on the stream type point?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/devel/9852#9852 (and the rest
of the thread)

> I see you have DVD-Special 2.
> I'm using the default that's first selected in the recording profile,
> something like Mpeg2-TS or similar.
> Is there a big difference between that and DVD-Special? Do these streams
> have anything to do with the fps of the recordings?

No.  The DVD-Special 2 settings are used by Windows MCE (and, therefore,
probably pretty well tested).  The differences between the 3 DVD types
is on a "micro" scale (and may have more effect on the card than the
resultant output).

You should probably use DVD/DVD-Special 1/DVD-Special 2 at 352x480,
480x480 or 720x480 for the most "robust" recording/playback settings.
While MPEG-PS wouldn't be a bad choice, MPEG-TS is really unnecessary
(as your Myth box should be considered reliable media where loss of data
is unlikely and error correction is unnecessary).

Mike