[mythtv-users] commflagging interrupts live tv

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 23 10:22:33 UTC 2007

John Pierce wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a pvr 500 with two set top boxes connected.  I was watching
> live tv while the first input was recording.  All was going fine until
> the recording ended and mythcommflag, when the commercial flagging
> started the live tv went away and when I tried to go back to live tv
> it told me that it could not connect to the master backend.
>
> The only error that I can find in the log from the time frame when
> this occurred is the following:
>
> 2007-06-22 20:01:36.166 MythSocket(81c50a8:-1): writeStringList:
> Error, socket went unconnected.
> 2007-06-22 20:01:40.134 MythSocket(82129a0:-1): writeStringList:
> Error, socket went unconnected.
>
> Any ideas why I could not continue watching live tv during a flagging job.
>
> Thanks in advance

Do you have the option to start comm flagging when the recording starts
set? That uses more cpu and disk access than the normal start after
recording ends mode.. Either mode generates a lot of disk and mysql
activity so chances are that you are running out of hard drive bandwidth
during the flagging. Make sure you are configured to only allow one
flagging process to run at once. Many people are forced to store the
recordings on a different hard drive than the one holding the mysql
database and operating system. If your computer is a bit slow, you might
want to limit the flagging hours to not allow comm flagging during the
hours you like to watch tv.