[mythtv-users] Zap2It Labs, Google, Write them!

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Jun 22 19:42:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 12:35 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:

> I don't particularly care about the episode descriptions.  As often
> as not they're boilerplate anyway, in the Zap2It feed.

Hrm.  I didn't have that experience.  I found the descriptions to be
meaningful in the majority of cases.

> I care about
> the title, the start and stop time, and in an ideal world the episode
> number (for duplicate detection).

And short of an episode number, duplicate detection works with the
episode title and description.  See how much conflicting recordings your
scheduler will find without that info.

>   I suspect a lot of users feel the
> same way.  I wouldn't get hung up too much on whether descriptions or
> summaries are available.

I don't so much care, to actually read the summary, I just want it for
duplicate detection.  I tend to be cynical about the networks being
forthcoming about episode numbers.

> Even broken duplicate detection would be only a minor annoyance at
> this point.

Not so much.  Syndication means that my upcoming recordings guide has
way more stuff in it that I don't record (and would conflict with other
programming) because it's a duplicate than I record.

>   The quality of Zap2It's data in this area has declined a
> lot lately, so I'm used to deleting the duplicates manually.  For
> example, every rerun of The Daily Show now has the same description
> and no episode number data.

That's a good "re-run" (not necessarily duplicate) detection then.  :-)

b.

Brian J. Murrell